New Business Owner's Guide


Businesses that are located within Lake Mary city limits will need TWO local business tax receipts--one from the City and one from Seminole County. You must obtain your City tax receipt prior to obtaining one from the County. The Tax Collector’s office in Lake Mary is located at 845 Primera Blvd.     

Home Based Businesses: If you are operating a business out of your home, you are required to submit a floor plan of your home indicating the area that you will be using to conduct the business. If you rent your home, you are also required to submit a notarized letter from your landlord granting you permission to conduct such occupation. The initial fee for a home-based business is $100.00.

Commercial Businesses: The Community Development Department has to approve the type of business at the location. You may be required to pay additional water and sewer impact fees based on the type of business. To determine if this is required, contact the Community Development Department at 407-585-1412 or 407-585-1459.

Door-To-Door Solicitation: Hours of solicitation are from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. No solicitation is permitted on Saturdays, Sundays or holidays. It shall be unlawful to solicit from, in or on any public roads, streets, road rights-of-way, medians or safety zones or, while located on a City sidewalk, to solicit from vehicles in the adjacent city, county or state roadways.

Small Business Information: Small business development seminars are available through the Seminole State College of Florida in Sanford (407-321-3495) . Federal forms, licenses, permits, and regulatory information are available at


The Florida Department of Revenue issues State Sales Tax numbers. Their local office is located at 400 W. Robinson Street, Suite N302, Orlando, FL  32801-1736. (407-648-2905; 800-352-3671).

Online information and filing is available at for the following required state registrations:

Fictitious Name Registration (per Florida Statute Section 865.09). Anyone conducting business and using a business name that does not fall under the State of Florida exempt guidelines must register their business name (850-245-6058).

All corporate registrations (850-245-6052).

State licensing requirements for:

Daycares, Preschools, and Adoption agencies can be obtained through the Florida Department of Children and Families (407-317-7820).

Restaurants, Alcohol Sales, and Mobile/Perishable Food Carts can be obtained through the Division of Hotel & Restaurant Commission (850-487-1395). The Division of Hotel & Restaurant Commission is located in the Hurston Building, North Tower, 400 W. Robinson St, Orlando, FL 32801.

Convenience/Grocery Stores, Health Clubs, Automotive Repair Businesses, Travel Agencies, Moving Companies, Bakeries, Delicatessens, or Agriculture Products can be obtained through the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (1-800-435-7352).

Salons, Accounting, Real Estate, or Construction Industry Professions can be obtained by calling the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (850-487-1395).

Finance, Investments, Mortgage, and Banking Professions can be obtained by calling the Office of Financial Regulations (850-487-9687).

For Worker’s Compensation information, call the Department of Financial Services Customer Service line (850-413-1609) or the Orlando office (407-835-4406, Option 3) .


Go to the Internal Revenue Service website for information on Federal I.D. numbers. (1-800-829-4933).


  • All City business tax receipts expire September 30th and can be renewed by mail, at our website or at Lake Mary City Hall. If renewing on line, you will enter your Business Tax Receipt number when it asks for an account number. Renewal Notices are mailed during August.
  • VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: All businesses within the state must file an annual Tangible Personal Property Tax Return with the County Property Appraiser on equipment used in the operation of the business. You may visit the Property Appraiser’s website at to download a sample return with general instructions. However, it is suggested that you contact the Property Appraiser’s Office at 407-665-7582 for specific first time filing instructions.

If you discontinue your business, contact the City Clerk’s office at 407-585-1415. The City Clerk’s Office must also be notified of any change of business ownership, location, or mailing address.